My Fontana Elementary students and I participated in a World Record reading event! Jumpstart’s Read for the Record is a campaign designed to bring attention to the importance of early education. By encouraging hundreds of thousands of children and adults to read the same book on the same day, Jumpstart aimed (and succeeded) to break a world record and to make early education a national priority. Children and adults read together at events nationwide in an attempt to break the world record for the largest shared reading experience in history! This year’s campaign took place on October 2, 2008, in schools, libraries, stores, hotels, playgrounds, offices, and homes across the country. I, too, read the story of Corduroy to several of my students and they received a certificate of participation and then drew pictures they felt best represented the story. The first picture is from one of my KINDERGARTEN students!!! AMAZING detail for a kid that age! If you've ever seen the cover of the Corduroy book, then you know he has a little yellow accent around his eyes... She as a kindergarten kid, saw that detail! The shape of the bear itself is astonishing! I was blown away! Compared to her speech partner (who drew stick figures), it was an unbelievable difference! BUTTONS! She put on buttons!! Most KG kids are lucky if the stick figure has eyes and a mouth!

Her brother, a first grader, came up with the 2nd drawing seen here! The tan around the mouth with the detailed nose and eyes! The strap missing the button and not attached to the pants! The black lines to define the shapes! WOW!! Oh, and note they both chose the SAME colors to use?! They didn't come at the same time to see me!!! This family has serious natural art talent!! I wanted to keep the pictures! :-)
Here's the web site link to give you some more info about the event. I was sent a copy of the book from the Pearson company who pays me occasionally to do testing for them. I had a lot of fun! Maybe next year we can all participate!!
No comments:
Post a Comment