Thursday, September 18, 2008

A few more meetings...

After Friday, I've decided I'm taking an IEP break... I refuse to schedule a meeting and will only attend one IF I'm required. As of this moment, no official meetings are scheduled next week (besides a few little meetings that aren't anything I have to prepare paperwork for... and that's ALL I care about... NO COMPUTER GENERATED PAPERWORK REQUIRED BY CHRISTY!) I'm brain fried. I can't tell you how tired of this IEP crap I am right now. I actually got to pull kids a more than a few times this week! Today I had one of those, what I would call, goose-bump moments during a session with a very challenging 3-year-old. He is only interested in the toys he knows are in the cabinets. His previous speechie did not prepare me for the experience. I'd met with him last week and all we did was get up and leave the table, even during a game. Test run. Notes taken. New strategies formed... Today I moved the table to block the cabinets and mom was placed on one side and I on the other where he couldn't get around us to them. Immediately he sat in his chair. It only took a few attempts and me being excited to play "the flashlight game" for his curiosity to be piqued. I got through his picture cards and even (eventually) got him to say the sound! I was so excited for him! I explained the game, had him hide his eyes while I "hid" the pictures about the floor and in obvious spots about the open area portion of the room. I flipped the flashlight on, turned off the lights and gave him the flashlight... he LOVED it! He was "SPy"-ing for cards to "SPot" with his flashlight, he'd grab it, bring it to me or mom, say the "SP" word, and put it on the table... 8 cards to find, and I'll be darned if the kid didn't have that "SP" sound mastered with BARELY a need for a reminder at the end of the 20 minutes. Now, granted, it's just those 4 words (2 cards each)... but this kid was refusing to try in the first 5 minutes of the session! I was stoked! I think I got through to him that this can be fun and if he tries hard, he gets to do fun stuff! Woo hoo! Best 20 minutes of my school year so far.

No comments:

My iTunes